Saturday, November 9, 2013

Where for Art Thou, Julia?

I need Julia Child to come save me from my thirtieth birthday.

Like many'a mom blogger, I feel an inspired kinship with the movie Julie and Julia. For those of you who don't know, the movie was based on the book written by Julie Powell. She decided to cook every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and write a blog about it. Her blog and the book it birthed became very popular; thus, my movie was born.

I haven't read the book yet. I can't bear the possibility that I might not like the real Julie Powell as much as I like Amy Adam's Julie Powell. "I'm thirty..." Amy as Julie muses at her birthday party. "I thought it was going to be terrible, but because of all of you and because of Julia, I think I'm going to get through," Amy's Julie raises her glass and my heart swells.

Julie Powell found passion and focus through the craft of the genius Julia Child. Julia Child found her mission on a plate in Paris. Almost thirty and as unfocused and chaotic as ever, I am wondering: Julia, oh, Julia, where for art thou, Julia?

1 comment:

  1. Here's hoping your birthday was great -- Julia or not!! .Sherry

    ReplyDelete